The 2017 Renovatus CSA
What is a CSA? The acronym CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. A CSA is an alternative, locally based economic model of agriculture and food distribution. Members of that organization pledge their support of that farm, with growers and consumers sharing those risks and benefits of food production. In 2017 Renovatus will be going into year two of our CSA program.
Why does Renovatus have a CSA? Renovatus uses the CSA model as a way to generate funds for the ministry and provide skills training to the residents of Renovatus. From seed to produce sale, we give residents a model for how to grow their own food and improve the skills needed to do that. We believe that nothing can be more rewarding than growing, selling, sharing, and eating food you grew.
How does the Renovatus CSA work? Members will pay at the onset of the growing season for a ‘share’ of the anticipated harvest. Once harvesting begins, weekly ‘shares’ of the farm’s bounty will be given to the members.
I’m unsure I’ll like what comes in the CSA share, how do I know if this is for me? That’s one of the joys of supporting your local farm! We are right here through the process. Post your favorite recipe or ask for someone else’s on our Facebook page. Ask Pete or the guys how they are preparing this week’s harvest. Look for our recipe posts in newsletters and on Facebook throughout the season. Or come on Monday or Wednesday for our ‘market style’ pickup (see below). Quality and taste drive our seed and plant selection, you can be sure that we are a resource and a friend for the year and through the harvest!
But really, why should I join a CSA? We thought you would never ask.
1. You are supporting a local, grassroots food system.
2. You get to enjoy local, fresh, and delicious food, weekly.
3. You learn to eat with the seasons.
4. Most importantly, with this CSA, you are part of restoring peoples lives.
- The 2017 CSA will be 26 weeks long this year. It will begin the first week of May and run through the end of October.
We will have two options for share size:
- The full share, a full grocery bag, should feed a family of four 4-5 meals a week. The cost is $750 for the year.
- The half share, a small grocery bag, should feed a family of two 2-3 meals per week. The cost is $400 per year.
- Spots are limited this year.
- For the full share, if payment is received by February 1st in full, your price is $700. Payments received after February 1st for the full share will be $750 and there will be no discount for the half share ($400).
- Payment options such as 2 installations, or a payment plan is available also. These arrangements must be discussed with Pete or other CSA managers.
- On Monday and Wednesday members will have the option of the ‘market style’ CSA. Preselected bags will also be available for easy grab and go.
- On Saturday preselected bags will be available at the farm or at the Market Square Farmers Market in Downtown Knoxville.
- Other delivery options are possible, but constrained due to time commitments of the ministry. If pickup from the farm is your only hesitation, please discuss this with Renovatus.
All crops are subject to weather, pests, and unforeseen conditions. With that in mind, what can you expect throughout the year?
May-June: lettuce, carrots, beets, kolrabi, broccoli, onions, kale, cabbage, cauliflower
June-July: tomatoes, pepper, squash, potatoes, garlic, onion, beans
August-September: tomatoes, pepper, squash, beans, corn, eggplant
October-November: Greens, Carrots, lettuce, sweet potatoes, onions, radishes
Are you interested in something specific? Just ask! You are a part of this farm!
Are you interested in becoming a CSA member? Send us an email: email@example.com